Atlantique, Fire Island, New York
The Tri-State’s lone AMC Cabin sits on Fire Island, a barrier island that also shares the only National Wilderness Area in New York State. Enjoy Atlantic Ocean beaches or canoe, kayak, and sail on the Great South Bay — all one hour from New York City on public transportation to Bay Shore where you pick up a ferry to Atlantique. Volunteer managers and leaders run weekend and midweek activities. Weekend guests share food prep, communal meals and cleanup; midweek is self-service. All guests participate in communal chores as directed by the managers: sweeping, recycling and general Cabin clean-up.
This volunteer-managed Cabin is available from mid-May through mid-October. During the winter months, the Fire Island Committee sponsors various events in the city.
- two 12-bunk dorms with mattresses, blankets and pillows. Bring linens or sleeping bag (bottom sheet to cover mattress required) and towel
- communal kitchen, shared bathrooms, hot outdoor showers and new Educational Center housing our library and games
- canoes, kayaks, sunfish and sailboats (for authorized sailors listed in the Boat log), beach umbrellas and chairs; yoga equipment.
- Children over the age of 6 are welcome midweek (Monday-Thursday). Dedicated family time includes 2 midweeks during summer months with no age restrictions.
- No smoking, no pets.
- Use of electronic devices (cell phones, laptops, etc.) on property is restricted.
For more detailed information about the cabin please request our Info-Pac from firstname.lastname@example.org.